Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pesto Perfection

It's been a looooong time since I've posted here, due to a mixture of pure laziness and travelling. We went back to the UK for 3 weeks over Christmas to visit my family and best friend, and had the most awesome time. It was depressing to come back to the US but it was surprising how quickly I got back into my routine of food, exercise and watching other peoples' dogs hump each other frantically.

This weekend we did a lot of exercise and celebrated with the world's yummiest pizza. We make our own dough and had some in the freezer which was awesome because it meant much less work. While I'm a fan of the regular tomato-based pizza, I have to say my favorite pizza sauce topping is pesto. It's so delicious, especially when it's fresh and homemade.


I baked the pizza crust for 10 minutes at 425 Fahrenheit, then I spread a generous amount of fresh pesto on top, followed by sliced onions, diced tomatoes, black beans, sauteed mushrooms and crumbled feta. I let it bake for about another 15 mins, then we chowed down. I had plenty of leftover pesto which made me very happy. My mum likes to make sandwiches with hummus spread on one slice and pesto on the other, so I did that this week and filled the sandwich with cucumber slices and lettuce leaves. Yum!

This photo just makes me hungry
Pesto

2 cups basil leaves, loosely packed
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 garlic cloves, minces
1/4 cup olive oil, or to taste

Put pine nuts, garlic and Parmesan in a food processor and grind well. Add the basil leaves a little at a time, processing as you go. Add the olive oil slowly until the pesto reaches the desired consistency. (I used about a half of the 1/4 cup I measured out because I didn't want it super oily)

Pesto should keep in the fridge for a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment