Friday, November 25, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Yep, that's what happened for breakfast last Sunday. I meant to post about it sooner but we had an open house and my camera was locked in our safe. This week, I was too lazy busy to retrieve it, hence the seriously late posting of the awesome recipe.
Mixin' it up...
Anyway, I'd bought some chocolate almond milk because it was on sale and because it is awesome, and had been eating it with my Lucky Charms. Ben's response: "What are you, five???" Well yes, but I have to admit that I was getting a little bored of using the milk that way. I made hot chocolate with Bailey's a couple of times but it seemed like the milk carton was bottomless. Enter chocolate chip pancakes, please.
Eat me!
I used a basic whole wheat pancake recipe from Skinny Taste and built upon it using my own kind of chocolately magic. With the addition of chocolate chips, this was one recipe I'd gladly make again. We ate the pancakes with homemade applesauce I'd made in the crockpot earlier in the week and it was utterly magical.

Chocolate Chip Pancakes


2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup applesauce (can use 2 eggs)
2 cups + 2 tbsp chocolate almond milk (can use regular chocolate milk)
2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp chocolate chips

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar together in a large bowl. Add applesauce, milk, vanilla and chocolate chips, and stir until just combined.

Heat a nonstick skillet over a medium heat. Spray some oil into the skillet and pour in 1/4 cup pancake batter. When batter starts to bubble, flip and cook the other side until golden. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Top with maple syrup, fresh fruit or applesauce. Enjoy!

Makes approx. 7-8 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment