Thursday, November 10, 2011

Comfort Food

I've been a bit lax in cooking this week. Ben's away all week, and I often find myself making uninspired meals when he's gone. Cooking for yourself just isn't the same as cooking for other people. I actually did attempt something earlier in the week, but it was a huge disaster so I'd prefer to forget about it!

Tonight, I wanted something comforting and yummy. It was a cold day and we had the first snow flurries of the season, so a nice, hot meal was an absolute must.

I had a delicata squash leftover from last week's veggie box, so I decided to attempt to make "fries" from it. A delicata squash is pretty small, so one is perfect for one person. I peeled, deseeded and sliced the squash, then seasoned and baked the slices. 

Pre-baked "fries"
The squash fries turned out really well, and there was the perfect amount for one person. I ate my fries with a homemade pumpkin veggie burger from my freezer stash, and some quinoa cooked in veggie broth. Yummy, satisfying and a perfect use of a leftover squash!

Not your typical burger and fries
Delicata Squash Fries

1 delicata squash
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Garlic powder
Chili powder

Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit.

Peel squash and cut it in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds using a spoon, then cut the squash halves into long, thin, fry-shaped pieces.

Put squash slices in a Tupperware container. Add the olive oil and season to taste with garlic powder and chili powder. Place the lid on the container and shake it well to coat each squash slice. Arrange slices on a baking sheet.

Bake squash slices for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Once cooked, throw the fries under the grill/broiler for a few minutes to crisp up, turning every minute or so. Watch the fries closely to prevent burning, and serve immediately once they're done.


No comments:

Post a Comment