Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Adventures With Oatmeal

I've always had an aversion to oatmeal. My first job was cleaning up the breakfast plates at an old people's home, and I'd come home covered in caked porridge and feeling truly disgusting. My hubby is a huge oatmeal fan, and I'd tried it in the past purely because it's just so damn good for you! But I couldn't get past the texture and the general ickiness of the whole thing.

This all changed this week when I decided enough was enough. I work outside and it's getting cold, so cereal is no longer going to cut it for me. I wondered if the reason I hated Ben's oatmeal (besides the texture) was because it's prepackaged and pre-flavored. I had a container of regular Quaker old fashioned oats in my cupboard so I decided to put them to good use.


With some yummy seasonings and the addition of a cut up banana and my homemade pumpkin butter, I managed to transform the usual icky oatmeal into something I could stomach. And I have to say, not only was it yummy, it kept me full up until lunch. Post-oatmeal, I ran 3 miles and STILL wasn't hungry. Success!


Yummiest Oatmeal


1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup vanilla flavored almond milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 banana, cut up
2 tbsp. pumpkin butter

Pour almond milk into a small saucepan and heat until boiling.

Add oats and cinnamon and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Take oats off the heat and cover with a lid for an additional 2-3 minutes, allowing the oatmeal to thicken.

Serve in a cereal bowl with cut-up banana pieces and pumpkin butter. Makes 1 serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment