Friday, October 28, 2011

Turban Squash Experiment

Today was all about experimenting. We're planning a trip to King's Island tomorrow and I wanted to make something healthy that we could sneak in so we don't have to eat the nasty food they have at the park. So I attempted granola bars... they're still cooling so we'll see if they stay together once cut!

The second food I experimented with today was turban squash. If you're wondering, "what on earth is turban squash?!" then I was right there with you until I saw my first one a few months ago. They look a little something like this:



Weird, no? I was intrigued by this odd-looking squash, so I bought my first one this week. I searched online for recipes to no avail, so I decided to wing it. I started by cutting the squash in half and deseeding it.

Like a little mushroom!
Then, I peeled the skin off using a potato peeler and cut it into small pieces. I laid the pieces in a baking dish and sprayed them with olive oil cooking spray, then sprinkled some garlic powder on top, then I baked the squash until they were just starting to brown.

Meanwhile, I heated some olive oil in a skillet and added some minced garlic, dehydrated chopped onion and sundried tomato oil seasoning, and cooked some whole-wheat linguini in a medium saucepan. Once the pasta was done, I mixed everything together and topped it with feta because, let's face it, feta makes everything better.

The end result was pretty good for an experiment, although next time I'll probably use butternut squash -- the turban squash was such an odd shape that it took about 30 minutes to peel the thing!

Yumminess!
Roasted Squash Pasta

1 winter squash (butternut, acorn, turban etc), deseeded and chopped into small cubes
Cooking spray
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp dehydrated onion
2 tsp sundried tomato seasoning, or any other Italian-style seasoning
3 oz whole wheat linguini

Roast squash in a baking dish at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

When squash has 10 minutes left, bring a pot of water to boil and add whole wheat linguini. At the same time, add 1 tbsp olive oil to a skillet on a medium-low heat. Add garlic, onions and seasoning and mix well.

Add roasted squash to the olive oil and stir thoroughly to coat. Drain pasta and mix it in with the squash mixture, adding 1 tbsp olive oil to coat the pasta. Serve immediately and sprinkle with feta. Yum!

Makes 2 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment