Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kale-licious!

 It was a looooooooong day today, one I don't care to repeat. I actually got peed on at work. That's right, a dog lifted his leg and peed right on my boot. Luckily, they were $10 at Walmart about 3 years ago and I hate them, but still. I was happy to get home and take a long, hot shower.

I took out a sockeye salmon fillet from the freezer this morning and I had a bunch of kale in the fridge that needed using. Ben hates kale, but when I bought it I didn't think he would be home this week. So my mission was to make boring kale into something super yummy that both of us would enjoy.


Along with the kale, I decided to break open the bag of millet my mum made me buy when she was visiting. I was a millet virgin, so this was a special moment for me.

I also had some crimini mushrooms left over from last week's veggie box that were starting to look sad, and some fresh garlic cloves.


I heated up some olive oil in a deep skillet and added the minced garlic and mushrooms. Once those were looking almost done, I threw in my kale. I had a little help from a couple of munchkins who thought I was cooking something much more canine-friendly than kale (and they were sadly mistaken!) 

Kale makes Dougal sad
Stumpy's natural pose



















The finished product was something tasty, healthy and different, and went really well with the millet and salmon. Now I know how easy it is to make kale more appetizing it might become a more frequent visitor to my kitchen!



Garlicky Sauteed Kale


2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 or 6 crimini mushrooms (or any other kind of shroom)
1 bunch kale, destemmed

Heat olive oil in a deep skillet or wok. Once hot, add garlic and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add kale to skillet and stir to coat with olive oil. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, until kale starts to wilt. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment