Monday, October 31, 2011

Vegging Out

It was a crazy busy weekend here. Our Saturday trip to King's Island was awesome but exhausting (although those yummy homemade granola bars helped us through the day!) and Sunday found me in a crazy tidying/organizing/cleaning state. I hadn't planned on anything for lunch, but I did have a yummy plan for a snack, which transitioned into lunch along with a cup of soup I found in my cupboard -- a remnant of my last trip to the UK. That wonderful lunch/snack was.... homemade veggie chips with hummus!

Ok, the hummus was store bought so I can't take credit for that, but the veggie chips were 100 percent natural. I peeled a sweet potato and a parsnip, cut the into thin chip-shaped (or crisp-shaped, depending on where you're reading this from) rounds, seasoned them and baked them until they were good and crispy. They were a hit with the hubby, who was a huge fan of the parsnip chips. I'd planned on making more chips with a rutabaga (swede in England) I bought, but I ran out of room!

Chips pre-baking

Chips post-baking
These were a great alternative to store-bought potato chips -- and a lot healthier too, since I could control what went into the chips. The only seasoning I used was salt and pepper since the hummus was so flavorful, but you could add whatever spices you like -- paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, or whatever floats your boat.

Close-up yumminess

Homemade Veggie Chips

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into thin slices
1 parsnip, peeled and cut into thin slices
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Throw veggie slices into a lidded container along with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Add lid and shake container to coat chips with oil.

Lay chips on a baking sheet or in a baking dish, taking care not to overlap or lay chips on top of each other, which will prevent them from cooking and crisping. Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, or until crispy and slightly brown.

Serve chips immediately with your favorite dip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment